Sunday, June 10, 2012

From the Top

Hello out there, everyone! I'm Kit, owner, fiber processor, spinner, and dyer of Wishfox Dyeworks. I've been meaning to start a blog for a long time, but I think I was never really sure what to say. There's been a lot going on here on the business front lately, so this seemed as good a time as any! I feel like most things should begin at the beginning, so for your amusement, is the story of how I got started!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was 15 in 2005, my Nana taught me to knit one summer. I made a couple of scarves, got bored, and quit, since it never occurred to me that you could do anything else with it. In 2009 I found out I was pregnant, and picked up knitting again because I barely felt like getting out of bed, but wanted something to do that felt productive.

Since then, I've stayed home with my son, expanding my knitting skillset, learning to spin, then to process and dye my own fibers and yarns. I wanted to feel like I was contributing more to the household, and have my own money to buy Holiday gifts for my family with, without having to ask someone for money. It is a little depressing when you get a really cool expensive gift, and only manage to give a $10 one.

So in January of 2012, with $100 of Christmas money to my name, I decided that this year instead of just hoarding every penny I could, I'd make an effort to grow that money, and Wishfox Dyeworks was "born." I spent that first $100 on a kilo of the silk laceweight base that has become my best seller, WishSilk Lace.

Over the next few months, I put every penny I made back into buying more base yarns and dyes. I now have 8 yarn bases, as well as combed tops, and raw fleeces to work from. I was even able (with a small loan from my grandfather) to upgrade my wheel this year, and now I'm actually turning a profit, however small after expenses.

I have met so many really amazing people through the start-up of my business, and feel very privileged to have the opportunity to make the activity I love most into my profession.


No comments:

Post a Comment